Only Dixie & I were working at Toddington. Gil, Bill and others were at Winchcombe. 2807 was in service on Train 1.
Gil popped in, purely to give Dixie a job! All of our electrical equipment has to have an identification tag attached to it - this was Dixie's job! I had made a list of everything a few weeks ago, so at least he had a list to go by. The cabinet with drills & angle-grinders in played up a bit. The second drawer would not open! Eventually, we took the top drawer out and I applied persuasion using a screwdriver and pair of pliers. I think that's fixed it!
I was working away in the boot scraper factory. Dixie assisted me in restocking the F&W plus putting some in the car boot for the Coffee Pot at Winchcombe. Then we ambled over to the station to see 2807. But … it was nowhere to be seen! She should have been sitting in Platform 1 waiting to depart for Cheltenham … but she wasn't. It transpired that someone* was flying about in a helicopter, taking videos of our line, and they wanted a steam train on the viaduct, so 2807 was sent onwards to Laverton (instead of the DMU).
It was pretty obvious when 2807 was approaching the viaduct (even though it is well out of sight of the station) because we could hear the bark as the driver opened her up! I look forward to seeing the video. She will have made a spectacular sight.
Anyway, there was a crowd of visitors from Bachmann. Bob Mack came along (as Dixie & I admired "our" loco) with a name board. "Who wants this?" he asked. There was no response from the crew, so I climbed up onto the front, took it from Bob and fixed it to the smokebox.
We checked the pony and underkeep. It was tepid; not hot. Both sides were equally warm, so it looks as though our temporary fix of the leak is working. Ian, the driver, said that he had not had to top the underkeep up, so far. We did notice a wisp of steam from the RHS injector; so there must be a small steam leak in its steam valve seat. However, there had been no recent issues logged.
Dixie was able to take a footplate ride (purely for ensuring all was well, obviously). When he got back, he did report that all was well. :-)) So, we finished off and clocked off.
Today was a hive of activity. But first the bad news: 2807 was red-carded for having a loose nut. The nut is a castellated nut with split pin that holds the valve link rod to the rocking shaft. There's a tapered pin through the two, with this nut on its end. Unfortunately, the taper is not quite perfect … Anyway, Driver PG spotted that the nut was loose. It couldn't come off (because of the split pin) but it was causing the not-so-tapered pin to waggle about a bit.
Gil & Bruce, with assistance from John P [Loco Dept] and John T, removed said nut, checked it over, refitted it and applied some flogging to it. An amusing arrangement of wood jammed the spanned onto the outer end, while the nut (on the inside) was flogged.
John G set-to on painting rail chairs. He completed 8 tops and 2 bottoms. We are doing BR(W) in Crimson Lake because this colour seems to be the "in" thing this year. Don't quite understand why, but the crimson boot scrapers are selling like hot cakes.
John T left the floggers and cleaned up two LNWR rail chairs, before joining me on repairing one of our two trolleys. I purloined planks of wood from the wood store, and John T & I removed the old wood, nuts & bolts from the dilapidated trolley top. John G joined in, and the end result is something to be proud of!
Dixie spent the entire day finding electrical items that need tagging. He'd got my list to work from, but actually finding things was taking the time. They have a habit of moving about.
After lunch, Bruce & Gil noticed that the brakes on the loco & tender were wearing, and so they adjusted them. Gil even went to the (quite unnecessary) trouble of reporting it as an issue, and then clearing it!
Apart from the Red Card, there are three new issues logged:
51 [PG]: Regulator leaking by.
52 [PG]: Driver side clack blowing by.
53 [GK]: Loco & tender brakes require adjustment.
Note that 2807 is in service from Friday through to Monday (11th to 14th Sept).
I believe she is also required for Friday 18th plus Thomas days: 19th & 20th.
* GWSR had hired the helicopter to take various photos of the line, specifically that between Laverton & Broadway (but also of an engine powering across the viaduct) to put in a new share appeal for next year, to help bridge the Broadway bit.