Sunday 30 October 2016

Maintenance Update (regulator, planks, hinges, saddle)

Tuesday 25th
Good news … the boiler inspector is happy to proceed with a thinner tube. It must be hydraulically tested at 10 psi above normal maximum working pressure.

Not so good news … Carpo has just discovered that the expansion required to make Skinny fit tightly in the tube plate is slightly more than he anticipated! Phone a friend time again! It may be possible to fit a sleeve or, perhaps better, a ferrule.

Wednesday 26th
Stuart reported: “I lent a bit of a hand this day and also took these photos.”

John G chipping off old bitumen

Gilbert applying Deproma rust proofing paint

Fred applying Top coat gloss black to Chassis

Ray and Bill working inside, preparing and painting internal fittings

Bruce reported: “Yesterday [Wednesday], when we trial fitted the 1.75" tube after modifying the regulator casting I suggested that a 2" tube may go in.  We then did an investigation and found that the 2" tube would probably take up the same position as the 1.75" tube before the regulator rib had been modified.  I said that I would do a simple drawing to see if our assumption was correct and sure enough it showed that it was in an almost identical position.

If I had given it some thought it should have been obvious. The angle of the 1.75" tube was determined by the edge of the hole in the tubeplate and the rib on the regulator. We then removed approx 0.25" from the rib on the regulator, so if a tube 0.25" larger was put in it should take up the same position as the 1.75" tube before modification.

I have been thinking (I did not phone a friend) that if your [Carpo’s] latest plan using a tube that has a pre expanded large end is not viable it may mean removing the regulator to enable us to fit a 2" tube. Would it be possible to remove another quarter of an inch from the regulator rib to allow a 2" tube to go in and then weld up the cut out after the tube is expanded? I think that it is a steel casting.
Clutching at straws perhaps but it would save an awful lot of work.”

So, we are not a lot closer to a solution.

Saturday 29th
As we are not yet in a position to put a new tube back in, folks generally fiddled around with bits & bobs all day!

John T started by cleaning out the floor of the cab. The wooden floor planks slide in metal channels which accumulate coal dust thereby preventing the planks from moving … even when you need to remove them.

David very kindly largely devoted his morning to fitting new hinges to the cabinet that holds the compressor.

Graham cleaned the ends of the two sets of superheater elements that had had to be removed to get at the errant tube.

Bruce spent a lot of time inside the smokebox. He cleaned up the superheater header and the clamps that hold the elements in place, in readiness for them going back … eventually. While working in there, Bruce commented on the blocked tubes (around the bottom, where ash had apparently not been cleared out very well by NYMR staff). We’ll have to clean these out next time.

Gil decided that it was time to ream out another of those fitted bolts that hold the rocking shaft bracket firmly in place. John assisted in doing that, and finally Bruce finished it off.

A new chap, called Mike, joined us. He has experience of playing with locos and enjoys painting! So, he was set on cleaning and painting the smokebox saddle. He finished one half and was thinking of coming back on Sunday to do the other half!

Bruce suggested that the whole of the running boards could do with a fresh coat of paint. They get heavily used, of course. Actually, I think that the Deproma paint has stood up well to be trampled all over in heavy boots.

I’d had four orders for boot scrapers yesterday, so guess what I was doing! Although Sunday is our last public operational day until after Christmas, I decided to re-stock the two cafes. In previous years people have asked for them during the Santa Special period (for obvious reasons!).


No comments: