Sunday 6 April 2014

Maintenance Update (felt pads, siphon, Tyseley)

Wednesday 2nd April
It started with me all on my own!  So, I painted the (silver) lettering on some black rail chairs; fitted brushes, and boxed them up.

Mike arrived and, without any pressure or hint, volunteered to finish off the bitumen painting on the tender.  The tender being in the shed does help.

Finally, I slapped an undercoat on some more chairs, including a BR(S).

I needed to borrow Gil's right hand, so I retired to Winchcombe and caught him in the act of squeezing into a corner of the siphon van … probably heard me coming!  Hence the first photo montage shows what they are getting up to - him, Fred & Ray.  Gil said that the wooden edges and ends are almost complete, ready to fit the roofing felt.


Saturday 5th
Bruce was deeply focussed upon making circular felt pads to fit the eccentrics - these control the flow of oil, so have to fit correctly; too tight = no oil; too loose = floods and runs out of oil quickly!  Bruce was testing using a hole-cutter.  After much experimenting, he got the method to work, but the size of the pad was a shade small.  What he needs is a 40mm (outside diameter) cutter, which would leave a 38mm circular pad (i.e. cut out of the felt material).

Later, Bruce decided to begin cleaning the loco's injectors.  Also, they have a seal at one end which Bruce wants to work out exactly what it should be made of and what size.

I was just slapping paint on rail chairs, as usual.  I also applied a coat of varnish to our display/noticeboard and took home the inner board to re-arrange the display for this year.

Mike came along, yearning to finish off the can of bitumen paint by coating everything left on the tender … except, that is, the screens each side of the coal chute, which need to be painted black gloss.  He may have started on that, but I couldn't find him when I departed.

I called in at Winchcombe, where Fred & Gil were beavering away on the siphon.  While we were nattering, John & Jon Giles arrived for a butcher's.

Tyseley
I believe that David popped in there to check on progress.  As far as I can tell (from Gil), work is on schedule (i.e. for completion by end of April).


Roger

No comments: